Get ready for Brexit.

The UK will be leaving the EU on 31 October. This will bring important changes for hauliers and commercial drivers.

1. UK hauliers must have the correct licences and permits.

The EU has agreed that for a transitional period UK hauliers will be able to continue using their current licences to do journeys to and from the EU. This currently applies until 31 December 2019 and is likely to be extended to 31 July 2020.

2. Trailer registration plates and papers.

All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing

over 3,500kg need to be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) before travelling abroad.

3. Vehicle documents.

Drivers will need to carry the following documents in the vehicle when driving abroad:

- a vehicle log book (V5C) or a vehicle on hire certificate (VE103) to use a hired or leased vehiclea GB sticker fixed to the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the number plates includes the GB identifier)

- a motor insurance Green Card

- paperwork, stickers, payment cards or electronic toll devices to use roads abroad

4. Passports and visas

UK passport holders may need to renew their British passports earlier if they are travelling after a no-deal Brexit. On the day of travel, a driver will need the passport to have at least 6 months left to travel to countries in Europe (not including Ireland).

Haulage drivers will not need a visa for short trips to the EU. A driver can stay for up to 90 days in a 180-day period.

Stay up to date, visit for the updates and download the Transporing goods between the UK and EU in a no-deal Brexit Handbook for more details.

Taken from: